Tête-à-tête: N Ahmed and I

Saturday, October 8, 2011


I usually don’t develop what we call a ‘writer’s block’, what I develop is a focus block. And this often happens to me because I in general do not prefer writing about the greater part of my mind that’s really raw and running, and so the smaller part falls short sometimes and today was such a day. But someone wise once said, ‘where there’s a will there’s a way.’


 So now I will be writing about N Ahmed today.

I met her in my first semester of uni. Back then I had a different life with different people, my uni was not really a place for me to mingle, I was hooked into teaching kids and earning my own money for the first time ever. It made me feel useful and I had no time for new bonding. This was a friendship built on circumstances, we were assigned a group project together and that is how the interaction really started. My initial impression of her? Well she reminded me of a troubled teenager with erratic behaviour who had strong opinions, but the opinions were not from the psyche of that trouble teenager, on the contrary it was from the psyche of a grown up. Well in short, she amused me J. And so, the time finally came when we were euphorically done with our first successful presentation of uni life, the semester eventually ended, and so did our obligation to spend time with each other. But there’s another quote said by another wise man, "No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." And how could we deny such a wise man of his quote ?



We didn’t J. We became close friends pretty quickly actually, we were alike on many levels and completely different in some, but we got each other. She became one person I could talk to in my way (that is through saying nothing), and my thoughts were interpreted just as I wanted them to be and vice versa. This made us enjoy each other’s company and we gradually grew fonder of each other. As a person she is not exactly the warmest, there’s absolutely nothing tender about her. But this doesn’t blow her karma because of her sense of responsibility towards the things she believes in. She’d anyday kick an annoying kid to the roadside drain, and she would also offer the kid her not so kind hands when necessary. In our initial days of friendship there was one particular thing I remember that contributed a lot to how I feel about her now, there was this case where a woman failing to persuade her former husband to marry her again took revenge by throwing acid on his two minor children born to his second wife. Here’s the link to the news. The case was twisted in many ways, N Ahmed got involved to this case to a level which put herself on the line. All of this was for something she believed in, she believed she could do something for the injured child that would at least secure the child’s future if not the present.  
Another thing that I love about her is that she isn’t one of those people who just sit and wait for something to happen, she has a strong heart which isn’t entitled to support of others for bringing a thought into action. She gazes at the world with dubious eyes and doesn’t put her trust on many, other factors don’t play a role, she just chooses not to trust hominids in general. But she trusts the ones she loves. And I feel fortunate to be a part of those few, because it gave me a chance to see certain sides of her that I might otherwise have failed to notice, and that would have been a great miss. 

N Ahmed, good to know I am not missing out much. Thank you .

[Images: All N Ahmeds]

0 comments:

Post a Comment