A pomegranate a day keeps the doctors away!

Monday, September 5, 2011

 Nar dana, anar dana
Asaa rumi topi waale naal jaana 


A song of my past. Whenever I see an anar (Pomegranate) the lyrics keep hovering through my head. It’s the season of pomegranate here in Dhaka.  No other fruit comes with sparkling red gems that as much as soothes the eyes coming about as edible soothes the tastebuds to two times the degree. And this fruit takes me to my happy place, my childhood, all the more reason to love it. Though most of us associate the 'forbidden fruit' from the garden of Eden to be an apple, Iranians believe that Eve was tempted with a pomegranate, and comparing the fleshiness of apple to my red gems, I sort of second that. Today I will be giving a pomegranate smoothie recipe I found on the internet along with my own rendition on it. Most of the smoothie recipes come with berries which is not available here so I have substituted the berries with bananas. Pomegranate is rich in vitamin C, B5, potassium, fiber and antioxidants and has numerous health benefits from inhibiting viral infections to slowing down the aging process, fighting breast cancer, preventing Alzheimer's disease, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure etc. A cupful of pomegranate smoothie leaves me refreshed and it takes care of my glucose level since I have a diet that runs too low on glucose (God didn’t give me a sweet tooth, He gave me an aversion to sweets on the contrary). So here goes the recipe,

Pomegranate smoothie recipe.  

Serves: 2

Preparation Time: 5 minutes

You will need:

1 pomegranate

1 banana

2 cups of water

5 tablespoons of non fat yogurt

Half cup sugar


First take out the pomegranate seeds from the pomegranate and blend on high until the juice is thoroughly extracted.

In the blender, combine the chilled nonfat yogurt with the pomegranate juice. Add the sliced banana, water and sugar. Blend. Pour the smoothie into tall, chilled glasses and serve at once with just ice or ice cream on top.

Happy drinking! :) and please let me know how you like it!


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Thank you so much! Tried this smoothie and it's awesome! Left me refreshed!

  1. br|sh said...:

    You are welcome anonymous ! Glad I could be useful!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog Marlow. I am loving your photography :)

  1. Ivo Serenthà said...:

    Madagascar has so far maintained its charm, since almost a pristine land.

    Good pomegranate, also presented on the table it's nice to see!

  1. Unknown said...:

    Thanks for your visit! Your blog looks pretty and interesting, will definitely come back!

    I don't know this song but LOVE IT! ♡ ♫

    Pomegranate is such a good fruit. unfortunately it's not very easy to get here. Will definitely look for it and try out this smoothie!

    xoxo

    Sunaina

  1. br|sh said...:

    Hey Sunaina :) thanks for dropping by! and please do try it out it's very healthy!

  1. Unknown said...:

    i want to try this. your blog is so inspirational, and really enjoyed the true-life photos! totally inspired, and hoping to visit again. new follower. hope we can stay connected. cheers!
    jasmine:)

  1. Lipsy said...:

    Must say Perfect smoothie for summers!!

    Well I read all your recent posts ,the wedding pics,gorgeous Mehendi..Loved them all!
    You look gorgeous in the costume party picture!!
    Keep Blogging:-)its as refreshing as this Smoothie!!

Post a Comment